Trainee Parks and Recreation (Horticulture) - Designated Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Position
Lismore is the heart of the area, with all services you would expect from a regional city. We’re just 45 minutes from Byron Bay and only two and a half hours from Brisbane. With its outstanding natural beauty, subtropical climate, a diverse and colourful community, close proximity to some of Australia's best beaches, a major regional hospital, quality schools and a bustling retail and cultural precinct, Lismore is an enviable place to work and call home.
Here at Lismore City Council we operate an exciting, inclusive and rewarding work environment. We offer a range of benefits including:
- a training support program
- additional study initiatives where appropriate
- flexible working arrangements
- diverse career paths
- a great work-life balance
Our values were created as part of a consultative ‘Values Project’ involving staff across the organisation. Our values are to respect, to strive, to be passionate and to communicate. We expect anyone who applies for a job with us to be aligned with these values. Our catchphrase is 'Values begins with a V but start with you.’ We want our organisation to be full of talented people who believe in our values. You can find more detailed information on our values on our eRecruitment portal.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Targeted Traineeship
We are proud to have an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy and Council invites applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are interested in the Trainee Parks and Recreation (Horticulture). position. Exemption is claimed under Section 126 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
The primary function of this traineeship is to learn the fundamentals of urban horticulture whilst assisting the Parks & Recreation section maintain its gardens and grass/turf areas. The role will include general gardening, weeding, pesticide spraying, mowing and edging among many other tasks.
- The traineeship is over a two (2) year period. The Trainee Parks and Recreation (Horticulture) is a key member of the Civic Pride team within Council’s Infrastructure Services Directorate.
- To undertake and successfully complete Certificate III in Horticulture in conjunction with on the job training undertaking the duties associated with parks and recreation maintenance activities, and to actively participate within the team.
- Training duration will be determined on sign up but likely 1 full day a month or ½ day a fortnight.
Full position description here
What do we need from:
- Genuine interest in horticulture, parks and recreation
- Reliable, fit and energetic
- Able to work in a team environment
- Commitment and willingness to complete the traineeship term
Full-time: 76 hours per fortnight
Local Government (State) Award - Trainee Rates of Pay:
Trainee award rates, entry level is T1 to T4 depending on age. Click here for more information
Conditions of employment: Conditions of employment are in the Local Government (State) Award and relevant Council policy, procedures and agreements.
Salary: The salary will be aligned to the Trainees Rates of Pay as outlined below plus super
Closing date: Thursday 6 December 2018 @ 12pm - midday
Contact: For further information please contact Marcus Ellison, Coordinator Civic Pride Parks on telephone 0408 609 422.
Council has an immunisation program to provide employees with vaccinations against known health risks associated with their respective duties and to identify any exposure to products that may affect an employee’s health, fitness and wellbeing. This position has been identified as a risk to the employee and as such the successful applicant/s will be required to participate in the immunisation program and it is the applicant’s responsibility to have undertaken relevant immunisation/s prior to commencement with Council.
The names and contact numbers of two referees will form part of the recruitment process.
A Pre-Placement Health Assessment shall be conducted prior to any offer of appointment and as part of the pre-placement health assessment candidates will be required to undertake a drug test.
- No paper applications will be accepted therefore all applications are to be submitted online through Council's eRecruitment portal.
- We are no longer accepting late applications therefore please allow yourself enough time to submit your application prior to the closing timeframe as outlined above.