Lismore City Council proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunities and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply.
We offer great conditions and our community is unlike any other – you can build a beautiful life and a great career in this region. Lismore is the heart of the area, with all services you would expect from a regional city. We’re just 45 minutes from Byron Bay and only two and a half hours from Brisbane. With its outstanding natural beauty, subtropical climate, a diverse and colourful community, close proximity to some of Australia's best beaches, a major regional hospital, quality schools and a bustling retail and cultural precinct, Lismore is an enviable place to work and call home.
About this Position
Reporting to the Manager Finance, the Principal Accountant is responsible for:
- Supervision of the financial services department and the overall processing of work within the section including Accounts Payable, Accountant Receivable and Payroll services.
- Ensuring all legislative and statutory requirements are met, including Financial Reports, Quarterly Budget Review Statement, and the Long-Term Financial Plan.
- Being a business partner to Directors and Program Managers, monitoring and review of financial benchmarks, and providing accurate and timely project and financial reporting data.
- Overseeing the preparation of the budget for the annual operational plan. Complete designated responsibilities in conjunction with the preparation, finalisation and monitoring of annual budget
- The role is also required to contribute to the ongoing process of enhancing Council’s financial reporting systems.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead the team to achieve excellence through the establishment, management and monitoring of financial systems, processes, standards, and service delivery benchmarks.
- Ensure risks to projects and financial service delivery to business units are identified and managed.
- Provide financial advice and assistance to Directors and Program Managers within timeframes and reporting standards.
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and customers (internal and external).
- Coach, mentor, empower, develop, and lead a cohesive and high performing customer centred, results driven team.
- Create a culture that inspires people to generate innovative solutions that optimise revenue to Lismore City Council.
Entry Level Experience Skills & Knowledge:
- Proven high degree of personal integrity, emotional intelligence, flexibility and comfort working with ambiguity while driving towards clarity and solutions.
- Sound understanding and practical application of statutory requirements of various Acts, regulations and guidelines relevant to the position.
- Proven track record in positively and successfully implementing change management processes in complex and sensitive circumstances.
- Demonstrated experience in conflict resolution and negotiations that require high level communication and planning to achieve successful outcomes.
- Sound business planning, organisational, financial, and high-level report writing and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the delivery of effective high-level customer service
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team fostering an environment based on teamwork and cooperation.
- Experience in managing workloads to comply with tight deadlines in a high-pressure work environment with a high volume of work.
- Demonstrated computer literacy in Microsoft suite of products, including Word, Power Point and Outlook.
- Advanced Excel skills
- Desirable experience in Council information management software (such as Authority, Content Manager and BIS).
- Desirable experience with large organisation ERP systems
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics, probity and transparency in decision making.
Essential Qualifications, certificates & Licences
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in accounting/commerce or business
- Post graduate qualifications are desirable.
- Membership of an appropriate professional institute.
- Current Class C Driver’s Licence.
Thorough understanding of and commitment to equal employment opportunity and work health and safety principles.
Full position description: Click here
Full time: 35 hours per week
Salary: A salary range from $1,710.10 (Grade 18 Entry) per week + superannuation
Closing date: Monday 10th August 2020 at 4:00pm
Contact: For a confidential discussion or further information regarding this position please contact John Hartley on 02 66250516.
Conditions of Employment: Conditions of employment are in the Local Government (State) Award and relevant Council policy, procedures and agreements.
Pre-employment Screening: There will be a series of pre-employment checks including health assessments (includes drug test) and receipt of copies of relevant qualifications and reference checks.
Our values are respect, to strive, to be passionate and to communicate. We expect anyone who applied for a role with us will be aligned to these values. Out catchphrase is 'Values begins with a V but starts with you.' We want our organisation to be full of talented people who believe in our values.
No paper applications will be accepted therefore all applications are to be submitted online through Council's portal prior to the deadline outlined above.
We are no longer accepting late applications therefore please allow yourself enough time to submit your application prior to the deadline outlined above.